Thursday 20 September 2012

Lucky girl




On my regular sunrise patrol at Berkeley, I noticed a female pelican with a length of line protruding from her beak - 105cm in fact. Fortunately I was able to catch her and a gave quick phone call to Australian Seabird Rescue team member Oliver who lives close by. He came straight down to the harbour and held the bird while I got my hand down into her stomach. It was lucky the hooks had not caught on her stomach wall.
The 2 hooks measured 3cm in length, each with a swivel attached!
Another example of careless fishing -  instead of calling someone for help the fisherman has just cut the line. This little girl would have perished if not spotted and caught with a successful release.
Thanks for your help Oliver.

Betty  

105cm fishing line plus hook found in female pelican at Berkeley

No comments:

Post a Comment