Sunday 29 July 2012

Betty goes for a swim!!


Well this juvenile certainly tested us. Being reported to the police as remaining in the same spot for 1 ½ hours on the water’s edge and delinquent kids throwing sticks at him, he was unable to move so the police stayed with him until I (Betty) got there. On attending I was confident I’d be able to just pick him up – wrong! Though I had “a wing in hand” his instincts kicked in and he headed for the water, taking me with him. Completely submerged the police had to fish me out – thanks fellas!

So dripping wet I waited for Kathryn and Leonie with her kayak. We tried for a long time but failed to catch him. Being weak his last effort to get away was to crash land on a townhouse roof. So I contacted the fire brigade to help. Leonie went home but Kate had left work early to help and bring me some dry clothes. Thanks to Bulli fire station who got him off the roof and back onto the sand with a blast of water. Kathryn also had to go home but no way I was leaving him so freezing cold waited for Kate. But now the bird was very nervous and almost dark, we had to leave him overnight. Early morning he was still there thankfully so contacted Kate to come help Oliver and I. A couple of kilos of fish and a lot of patience with Kate and Oliver in the pouring rain, we got him and into safe care to await a vet appointment. He has an infection and is very anaemic but with TLC and antibiotics he will stay in care for a few days and then hopefully off into the wild to continue his young life.

Betty

Kate with the juvenile pelican after he was finally caught. He is anaemic and  has an infection but should recover fully with a does of antibiotics and some TLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment