Sunday 5 February 2012

Two pelicans tied together at Koona Bay!



These 2 pelicans had been tied together with fishing line!

Friday 20th January - an early morning call from a fellow doing a seagrass survey reported 2 pelicans caught together with fishing line. He and his mate had caught the birds, cut the line but after letting them go realised the birds had broken wings. He told me he was in Haywards Bay so off I went on my own as I couldn't find a Australian Seabird Rescue team member to help me immediately. After getting lost in Haywards Bay ( a new suburb) trying to get to the water, I bailed up a fellow and his wife out walking. Keith was his name so I "kidnapped" him to show me how, to get down to the water - thanks to his understanding wife.  After going across a couple of paddocks, there was no sign of the fellas. I gave the phone to Keith to try to locate them. It turned out they were actually in the next bay - Koona Bay. So off we went again. By the time we arrived by road they had re-caught one pelican so in the back seat of the truck he went while they went out in their rubber duck to find the pelican. He was soon brought to shore so into the back seat also. Then back to Haywards Bay to return Keith to his wife before I went off to Wollongong with my 2 feathered passengers to the vet. Both these boys escaped actual breaks and after a thorough check by our valued vet are now in care to mend their bruises and get some TLC (even though they made a mess of the back seat!). The full waiting room of clients at the vet thought it was quite comical - 2 pelicans standing up in the backseat.
Anyways - a great big than you to Keith of Haywards Bay for helping me find my way and also to Nick and his mate in their rubber duck.
Finally thanks to Julia who helped me with the birds after the vet.
These very handsome boys will be back in the wild in about a week
Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment